Jimmy White’s participation in the Snooker Shoot Out lasted 10 minutes as he was comprehensively outplayed by Sanderson Lam.
The Whirlwind was given brilliant support by the crowd at the Morningside Arena, but he could not rise to the occasion. It went badly from the first shot, as White hit the blue full in the face off his break, and Lam cashed in with a break of 38.
From that point, White was chasing the game and balls did not fall his way.
Players Championship 2022 as it happened: Robertson hits four centuries to overcome Hawkins in final
02/13/2022 AT 10:57
A wag in the crowd said “give the old man a chance”, and White was presented with one opening but he missed a red by some distance as Lam played sensible snooker to advance to the second round.
“I did a really bad break, but did not mind it so much as the red wasn’t easy and if he missed it I’d have had a chance,” White said on Eurosport. “It was not to be I’m afraid.”
Yan Bingtao suffered a shock loss at the hands of Mark Joycewho was hugely impressive in putting together a break of 79.
Ding Junhui was forced to pull out on the morning of the event after feeling unwell. ryan davies was drafted in as his replacement, and he had a huge chance to knock out Barry Hawkins but missed a blue late in the frame with victory within touching distance.
Barry Pinches is a firm fans’ favorite at the Shoot Out, and he broke into his customary jog round the table on a couple of occasions in his 55-1 win over Ross Muir.
Mark Allen was one of the bigger names on show on Friday afternoon, and he eased to a 74-4 win over Ashley Carty, while his fellow top-16 member Stuart Bingham beat Mark Davis 90-0.
- Ashley Carty 4-74 Mark Allen
- Barry Pinches 55-1 Ross Muir (a)
- Yulian Boiko 1-67 Robbie Williams
- Tian Peng Fei 47-7 Rebecca Kenna
- Stuart Bingham 90-0 Mark Davis
- Noppon Saengkham 45-69 Daniel Womersley
- Mitchell Mann 32-21 Xiao Guodong
- Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 33-45 Kuldesh Johal (a)
- Ryan Davies 21-27 Barry Hawkins
- Michael Georgiou (a) 93-30 Si Jiahui (a)
- Duane Jones 47-39 Xu Si
- Mark Joyce 79-61 Yan Bingtao
- Zhang Jiankang 17-66 Zhang Anda
- Jamie Clarke 38-10 Ben Hancorn
- Andrew Pagett 35-17 Liam Graham
- Jimmy White 5-56 Sanderson Lam (a)
– – –
‘I partied with Barry after Masters win’ – Robertson on final rematch with Hawk
02/13/2022 AT 08:19
Dazzling O’Sullivan crushes Trump to reach last eight of Players Championship
08/02/2022 AT 21:29