Men’s Tennis | February 15, 2022
SEATTLE — The No. 11 USC men’s tennis team overcame a slip in doubles play and piece together a singles surge to take over and earn a 4-3 win over Portland today in Seattle at the Tennis Center at Sand Point. USC improves to 6-1 overall with the win.
The Pilots picked up the doubles point with wins on courts one and three, with Portland’s Neos/Pankin upsetting USC’s #3 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye in a tiebreaker 7-6 (4) for a surprise early twist. USC’s Paul Barretto and Ryan Colby snagged a 6-3 win on court three for a bright spot, but the Pilots’ opening 6-2 win on court two over Peter Makk and Wojtek Marek helped put Portland on a path to a 1-0 lead.
In singles, #4 Stefan Dostanic righted his ship with a smooth 6-0, 6-4 win over Sema Pankin at the top spot to level things at 1-1, and then Ryan Colby got USC a lift ahead with his 6-4, 6-1 victory over Oscar Brown on court six. Next to hit the finish line for the Trojan cause was Wojtek Marek, who pulled USC into striking distance with his 6-2, 6-4 win over Eleftherios Neos at the No. 2 spot. Coming through with the clincher soon after was #46 Peter Makk — USC’s third straight freshman to collect a W today as he dispatched Nikolas Tvedt 6-2, 6-2 to lock up a 4-1 advantage for the Trojans on the board.
The match played on, and Portland snagged a late point on a three-set victory from Julien Penzlin on court three over USC’s Bradley Frye to make it 4-2. That left #59 Lodewijk Weststrate tangled in a three-setter on court five with Nicolas Ocana, who took it to a third set tiebreaker and claimed the win over Weststrate to wrap the final score as a 4-3 Trojan victory.
The Trojans continue their time in Seattle with action at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, hosted by Washington. The No. 10 seed in this year’s draw, USC opens up against No. 7 seeded Kentucky at 3:30 pm on Friday (Feb. 18) in the Round of 16.
#11 USC 4, Portland 3
Feb. 15, 2022 | Tennis Center at Sand Point (Seattle, Wash.)
(1) Neos/Pankin (PORT) def. #3 Dostanic/Frye (USC) – 7-6 (4)
(2) Penzlin/Tvedt (PORT) def. Makk/Marek (USC) – 6-2
(3) Barretto/Colby (USC) def. Ocana/Oberg (PORT) – 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
Portland wins double points.
(1) #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Sema Pankin (PORT) – 6-0, 6-4
(2) Wojtek Marek (USC) def. Eleftherios Neos (PORT) – 6-2, 6-4
(3) Julien Penzlin (PORT) def. Bradley Frye (USC) – 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
(4) #46 Peter Makk (USC) vs. Nikolas Tvedt (PORT) – 6-2, 6-2*
(5) Nicolas Ocana (PORT) def. #59 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) – 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
(6) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Oscar Brown (PORT) – 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 4*, 3, 5