BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Bucknell freshman Whitney King earned the Patriot League Women’s Tennis Player of the Week, while Army AJ Woodman was named the men’s tennis player of the week when the League office announced the awards on Tuesday.
Boston University junior Erica Di Battista, Bucknell sophomore Tim Zelikovsky, Colgate freshman Jordan Ben-Shmuel, Lehigh senior Zack Elliott, and Navy freshman Katreina Corpuz were placed on the honorable mention list.
Patriot League Men’s Player of the Week
AJ Woodman, Army West Point, Jr., Weldon Spring, MO/Christian Brothers College
* Woodman went 2-0 in doubles and won at No. 1 singles as the Black Knights won matches against NJIT, Binghamton, and Georgetown to extend their win streak to eight matches.
* In No. 2 doubles, Woodman and teammate sophomore Jake Huartej won their matches against Binghamton, 6-2, and Georgetown, 7-6.
* The junior also won a three-set battle in No. 1 singles against Georgetown’s Kieran Foster, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6(5).
Patriot League Women’s Player of the Week
Whitney King, Bucknell, Fr., Sarasota, Fla./IMG Academy
* King went 2-0 at second singles and 2-0 at first doubles, helping the Bison go 2-0 with victories at Seton Hall (4-2) and Marist (5-0) this past week.
* Against Seton Hall, the freshman recorded a No. 2 singles win (6-3, 7-6 (6)) over Chloe Hamlin and a No. 2 doubles win (6-2) with teammate Daniela Bellini.
* King earned a 6-1, 6-1 No. 2 singles victory over Marist’s Vanessa Ciano along with a 6-0 No. 1 doubles win with Bellini.
* With her wins, she moved to 12-2 in singles and 13-1 at doubles with Daniela Bellini.
Erica Di Battista, Boston University, Jr., Montreal, Quebec/Academie Les Estacades
* Di Battista went 1-1 in singles and 2-0 doubles as BU went 1-1 against Boston College and Bryant last week. The junior had a 6-0, 6-0 singles win on court two over Bryant’s Sarah Hickey in addition to 6-2 wins on court two in doubles play against both teams.
Tim Zelikovsky, Bucknell, So., Thornhill, Ontario/Langstaff Secondary School
* Zelikovsy turned in a 4-0 weekend, winning twice at No. 1 doubles and No. 4 singles to help the Bison to road victories over Siena and Marist.
Jordan Ben-Shmuel, Colgate, Fr., New York, NY/Avenues: The World School
* Ben-Shmuel went 4-0 for the Raiders over the weekend, claiming victories in her in No. 3 and No. 4 singles and No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches against Providence on Saturday and Siena on Sunday.
Zack Elliott, Lehigh, Sr., Willowbrook, Ill./Hinsdale
* Elliott earned a 6-2, 6-3 win on court one against Morgan State’s Mikeal Carpenter on Saturday.
Katreina Corpuz, Navy, Sr., Ewa Beach, Hawai’i/Punahou School
* Corpuz helped extend Navy’s spring winning streak to seven-straight matches with a 6-2, 7-6 win over George Washington’s Lindsay Thompson in court four singles. Copruz and teammate Emily Tannenbaum teamed up to record a 6-2 doubles win on court two against Thompson and Charlotte Bell.
1.25 – Jillian Taggart, Navy
2.1 – Cooper Jackson, Army
2.8 – Zack Elliott, Lehigh
1.25 – Derrick Thompson, Navy
2.1 – Michael Owen, Bucknell
2.8 – Kaitlin Tan, Boston University
ABOUT THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continually demonstrating that student-athletes can excel at both academics and athletics without sacrificing high standards. The Patriot League’s athletic success is achieved while its member institutions remain committed to its founding principle of admitting and graduating student-athletes that are academically representative of their class. Participation in athletics at Patriot League institutions is viewed as an important component of a well-rounded education.