Check out this week’s “Spinning Back Clique,” MMA Junkie’s weekly show that takes a spin through the biggest topics in mixed martial arts.
This week, our panel Mike Bohn, Matthew Wells, and Danny Segura discuss these five topics with host “Gorgeous” George Garcia:
- The rivalry between Jorge Masvidal and Colby Covington rivalry continued outside the Octagon last week when Masvidal allegedly attacked Covington outside of a Miami steakhouse. About 48 hours later, Masvidal was arrested and booked. He now faces two charges: one count of aggravated battery resulting in bodily harm and one count of criminal mischief. The panel reacts to the alleged attack and the events that followed.
- At ONE X, former UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson defeated ONE flyweight muay thai champion Rodtang Jitmuangnon in a hybrid fight that alternated muay thai and MMA rules using three-minute rounds. The first round was muay thai only, the second round was MMA. The fight ended in the second round as Johnson submitted Rodtang via rear-naked choke. The guys discuss the takeaways from this special rules contest between two of the best in their respective disciplines.
- Curtis Blaydes defeated Chris Daukaus at UFC on ESPN 33 in Columbus. “Razor,” known for his wrestling game, didn’t attempt a single takedown in the first round and TKO’ed the heavy-handed ex-cop, 17 seconds into the second round. Afterward, he mentioned fighting Cyril Gane for an interim belt and respectfully called out former UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic, who was in the audience. The heavyweight division is a mess at the top, so how should it shake out? How far is Blaydes away from a shot at the title?
- After ONE X and UFC on ESPN 33 this past weekend, the panel takes their picks, outside of the main events, of who left a lasting impression with their performance.
- On the heels of the UFC’s massive London show, the promotion kept the show on the road in Columbus. It seems like more shows will take place outside of the UFC Apex, pandemic permitting. The panel discusses what they have you enjoyed about having full arenas, and what will be missed with fewer shows at the Apex?
“Spinning Back Clique” is released each Tuesday on MMA Junkie’s YouTube channel. You can watch the full episode in the video above.